We are pleased to announce the first six events of the 26.2 RRC Grand Prix 2015/16.
The Grand Prix is a series of 12 races across the year of different distances and terrains. It is a club competition for 26.2 RRC members and is available for everyone to participate in – new and old members, men and women, fast and more leisurely paced runners!
Scores are awarded based on your finishing position among your gender and also your age grading (how well you are doing compared to others of your age and gender worldwide) with your highest nine scores from the 12 events counting towards your total score. Prizes are then awarded to the top three men and women based on finishing position and top three men and women based on age grading.
Participation is what counts and it certainly doesn’t matter if you can’t come to all the events. It’s a great fun series and we would love more members to join in. The Grand Prix series is also an excellent opportunity to qualify for the club’s London Marathon Ballot. There are approximately 30 competition races which meet the qualifying criteria and 12 of those are Grand Prix races (link to Ballot rules).
Members who represent the club in eight or more eligble competition races and fulfill the other criteria, can go into for one of the club’s London Marathon places.Given the numbers who enter the public ballot, the club ballot is an excellent opportunity to gain a place for the London Marathon.
For more information speak to Lawrence Bromley, Libby Marchant, Moustafa Fawzy or Richard Goulder – your 2015/16 organisers.
The first 2015/16 events are:
#1 One Mile Club Championship
- Also doubles up as the One Mile Club Championship with ladies and mens past the post and age graded trophies at stake!
- 7.30pm Wednesday 3rd June
- Kingsmeadow Athletics Track, Kingston Road, KT1 3PB
- Track entry fee £3.40
- No need to sign up in advance, just turn up.
#2 Claygate Country Five mile
- An old favourite and one for all the family!
- 10.30am Sunday 5th July
- Race HQ Claygate Recreation Ground, Church Road, KT10 0JP
- Entries £12 online at https://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/ClaygateCountry520152
- Entries on the day £15
- More info at http://www.claygatecountryfive.co.uk
#3 Harry Hawkes 10 mile
- Also doubles up as the club’s 10 mile championship with ladies and mens past the post and age graded trophies at stake!
- 9.30am Sunday 19th July
- Race HQ Giggs Green, Thames Ditton, KT7 0BT
- Club discount code agreed to give 26.2rrc members £3 off entry price. Enter code 262HH15 when entering. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE OUTSIDE OF 26.2rrc.
- Entries £20 for UKA affiliated and £22 for non-affiliated runners with this code.
- More info at http://www.harryhawkes10.com
#4 The Perseverance Wimbledon Dash – 5km
- A three in one event! Grand Prix, Club 5km championship (ladies and mens past the post and age graded trophies) as well as a Surrey League event!
- 9am Sunday 9th August
- Race HQ Wimbledon Park Athletic Track, SW19 8AU
- Entries £7 (£9 for those not UKA affiliated) online at http://www.riderhq.com/events/68174/perseverance-wimbledon-dash-5k-inc.-surrey-5k-championships/enter
- Entries on the day £10
- More info at http://www.herculeswimbledonac.org.uk/Perseverance-5k.html
#5 Barns Green Half Marathon
- Also doubles up as club half marathon championship with ladies and mens senior, vets, and super vets trophies at stake!
- 10am Sunday 27th September
- Race HQ Barns Green Village Hall, Muntham Drive, Barns Green, Nr Horsham, West Sussex RH13 0NH
- Entries £22 (£24 for those not UKA affiliated) online at http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/BarnsGreenHalfMarathon1234 or via postal form on the race website
- Entry fee increases after 13th September to £26. Entries on the day £30
- More info at http://www.barnsgreen-half.org.uk/index.html
#6 Surrey League Cross Country Fixture 1
- Also doubles up as the first club surrey league cross country fixture with ladies and men at the same venue!
- Ladies 12pm, Men 3pm – Saturday 10th October
- Venue TBA
- No entry fee
- Let the cross country captain (Ann for the ladies and Moustafa for the men) know nearer the time that you will be running
- More info at http://www.surreyathletics.org.uk/crosscountry/leagues/index.php?Y=2015&O=R&S=2015 and http://surreyleague.org
The next six races will be announced shortly. As always we welcome your feedback. If you have any comments/suggestions please speak to Lawrence, Libby, Moustafa or Richard Goulder.
Article edited by L Bromley 10am 30/4