Unfortunately due to Epsom & Ewell Council’s refusal to allow us to use Horton Country Park for our annual relays we have had to cancel this years event. We have been in contact with the Countryside Manager for Horton Country Park who is adamant that running or cycling races within Horton Country Park should not be permitted on safety grounds. Unfortunately the club has not been given the chance to mitigate any of the safety issues which the Countryside Manager feels would stop us from running the event.
The Countryside Manager has stated that all such events have been refused and there is a need for consistency. 26.2 RRC does not currently believe this statement to be true and we will be seeking clarity.
26.2 RRC will be challenging this decision with a view to having it overturned for future events. If we are unsuccessful we will need to seek out a new venue although we hope this will not be necessary.
We would like to add for the record that the Countryside Manager did state the same concerns last year and then tried to prevent the event from taking place, with just one week’s notice. We as a club did manage to mitigate all of the safety concerns raised at the time which doesn’t appear to have in anyway swayed the decision for this year.
We shall of course keep all of you in the local running community fully updated as and when we can. Given that last year saw a record turnout for the event, we know that you will join us in lobbying Epsom and Ewell BC to overturn this decision.