Well done to everyone that complete the interval challenge in week 2. If you haven’t yet submitted results, please do so here.
See all the league details at: Virtual Race League
Week 3 Challenges – Tuesday 7th to Monday 13th April
With Easter this week, we would traditionally be out hunting for Easter eggs. As we can’t get out to hide Easter eggs for everyone, we will have to settle for a postbox hunt instead.
This week’s challenge is a Street-O challenge.
- You have 45 minutes to run around your local area and find as many post boxes as possible.
- You must start and finish in the same location.
- You will be awarded 3 points for every post box that you visit. Please approach the post box so you are close enough to check the details on the front, don’t just wave at it from a distance.
- There will be penalty points of 1 point per 20 seconds that you go over 45 minutes.
You are responsible for counting post boxes yourself. We are running an honesty system but keep in mind people can check how many postboxes you visited by tracking your GPS trace so do not cheat!
To find post boxes, we recommend you use a StreetO map like this Sample Map. We will provide more sample maps on request. You can create a map of your own area using the OpenOrienteeringMap tool. More details on creating maps are below.
When completing your challenge, make sure you maintain social distancing. If at any point you need to stop to avoid groups of people, you may stop your timing briefly to avoid problems. Please do not abuse this to use the time to check your map or get your breath back, this time is purely to avoid coming into contact with other members of the public. Safety always takes priority over completing the running challenges.
After completing the challenge, we will be collecting the number of post boxes that you visited and the time taken to visit them.
Additional weekly points
There will also be points awarded for keeping up your training as recorded by:
- Number of days that you go out and run. (1 per run)
- Total ascent over the week. (Grand Prix style points from 10 down in increments of 0.5 for each division).
By popular demand, we are giving points for total ascent this week. Please submit the total ascent for all the runs you complete over the week. Do this by adding up the ascent for each run and submitting a single figure. Strava will tell you the ascent for each run. Why not find some post boxes on hills to complete both challenges at once.
Creating StreetO maps
If you want to have a go at creating your own StreetO map, you can use the OpenOrienteeringMap tool. To create a map:
- Navigate you your location and zoom in.
- Select the “StreetO” map type in the top left.
- Select the scale, I recomment either 1:10,000 or 1:12,500
- Double click on the map to place the centre.
- Drag the blue blob to re-position the centre of the map.
- Click on “Add Postboxes” to add postboxes
- Click “Save & Get PDF Map” (top right) to download your map.
I will give a demonstration of this on Wednesday night at club night.
If you want me to create a map for you. Please mail me your postcode to website [ at ] 26point2.co [ dot ] uk.
If you would like a printed map and are willing to start your run in Berrylands, I will print some maps and put them outside my house for collection. Please let me know if you want me to do this for you. If you want a printed map and live elsewhere but don’t have access to a printer, please ask in the groups and hopefully someone can print a map for you.